Get Help

This page is intended to be a repository of resources on issues I am often contacted about. This is not a replacement for getting in touch: please email if you are a constituent in the Lothian region and require assistance.


The Scottish Government’s Coronavirus page contains the latest guidance and route maps for recovery.

Citizens Advice has a useful page with specific information for those shielding, going to work or travelling.


Shelter Scotland has excellent advice pages, including on eviction, repairs, deposits, housing benefit and homelessness.

Citizens Advice Scotland can also offer advice on various housing issues.


Citizens Advice Scotland have useful resources on checking what benefits you may be entitled to and how to claim them.

Mental health

Breathing Space is a free advice service for anyone in Scotland over the age of 16 who is feeling low, anxious or depressed.

If you are under 19, Childline also has counsellors who can support you.

Hopeline is a confidential support and advice service for anyone under the age of 35 who are experiencing thoughts of suicide.

Short term lets

During the pandemic, short-term lets should follow the guidance here: including signage and other reasonable measures to reduce risk. If you aware of a short-term let that is not following these guidelines, you can report them to Edinburgh Council via this email address or on 0131 200 2333.

You should also report short-term lets – particularly those that share entrances with residential flats – to the council here so they can ensure it has the appropriate planning permission.